Between March 2023 and October 2023, ACDB will implement the project: "The Siret River with clean water for nature and the community" through which it aims to reduce plastic pollution in the Lower Siret Meadow.
The Siret is the most important tributary of the Danube, it has the largest hydrographic basin in the country and the most important flow. All these geographical superlatives make it, unfortunately, also the most important transporter of plastic in Romania, especially in Vrancea county, where there is no compliant waste management, and the recycling level is far below the national level.
In order to reduce this problem, we will act in several directions: awareness of the negative impact of waste reaching nature in the communities along the banks of the Siret, between Trotuș and Putna, lobbying and activism towards local administrations in 7 territorial administrative units and direct actions for the sanitation of the banks of the Siret river.
The main activities within the project are:
• Awareness campaign regarding the impact of plastic on nature and ways to reduce it.
• Organization of an event involving a competition with PET rafts, collected from the banks of the Siret;
• Mapping the areas with large accumulations of waste and reporting them to the responsible authorities in order to take the legal measures in force;
• Sanitization of areas with plastic waste from Lower Siret Meadow.
• 7 interactive presentations on the impact of plastic on nature and ways to reduce it, in 7 schools in the project implementation area;
• 7 workshops for building monsters from waste collected by students from Siret Meadow;
• 7 waste monsters exposed for a period of at least 6 months, along with messages to discourage throwing waste in nature, in 7 localities in the project implementation area;
• 7 communities/schools involved in project implementation;
• the collection of approximately 3000 PETs necessary for the construction of the rafts, Siret Meadow;
• 7 raft building workshops and 7 built PET rafts;
• 1 event (raft race from PETs) to raise awareness of the public opinion on the large amounts of waste in Siret Meadow;
• mapping the areas with large accumulations of waste and reporting them to the responsible authorities;
• sanitation of areas with waste, difficult to access from Siret Meadow.